Thursday, February 05, 2009

Doctor visit summaries

We went to see the attachment therapist yesterday. It was our first official visit for Keith. We established some goals of development for him. In a nutshell: we want to establish a healthy attachment between Keith & us (Tyler & I) and we want to help him reach his potential, whatever that potential may be. That visit went well, but I must say that after every visit we have with the attachment therapist - we HAVE to stop for donuts on the way home. It's an emotional fix, I think.

Today we had appointments for the kids with the opthamalogist. Kristina - believe it or not - does NOT need glasses. I feel bad for her - she really wants glasses and doesn't need them! (would that she & I could trade places on this). Kristina does have strabismus, though. Keith has his glasses but his right eye is still very weak, so we "get" to put an eye patch over his eye for 2 hours every day. What fun that will be. In about 3 months we're supposed to come back and the doctor pretty much said for us to anticipate surgery for both of them to correct their lazy eyes. Has anyone had this surgery done before for strabismus? I'd like to know more about it. Thanks.

p.s. Kristina is feeling a little better. Thank you for your prayers! Of course, now the rest of the family is congested...so you could expand those prayers for the rest of us. :o)

5 comments:

Tami said...

Don't have any experience with strabismus, but so glad to hear that Kristina is feeling better. Hope the rest of you are back on your feet soon. :>)

Diana said...

I so hear ya on the emotional fix of treats after the therapist. It is HARD work and it is so emotionally draining. But it's worth it!

Hope you're all feeling better soon. We've got a bug going around in my neck of the woods, too.

World's Greatest Mommy said...

Jare has one eye that has perfect vision and another that can't even be fully corrected with glasses. We do patching therapy for 2-4 hours a day. It's hard enough with him old enough to communicate with...maybe try a sticker chart. I've even bribed Jare by giving him a Hershey's kiss for every 1/2 hour he patches. One important thing...it takes about 10 minutes for the other eye to adjust. They recommend that the parent engage the child in an activity during that beginning time. Jare and I do crosswords/Sudoku together. :) Maybe coloring?
No experience with the surgery, but lots of prayers...

Winnie said...

I had the surgery myself when I was a child, it was no biggie. I was quite old to be having it done - like 10 years old - so I remember it quite well. The thing I remember most was being pretty sick from the anestsia (sp)but no pain from the actual surgery. I can remember how bloody red the whites of my eyes were for a couple of days, pretty creepy, would have been great at Halloween! Glad Kristina is moving around more!

Queen Mother said...

Andrew has to wear a patch everyday..he has esotropia. He used to have his right eye patched for 2 hours a day, and recently it got cut back to 1 hour. Just buy Keith a really fun, cute patch to go over his glasses! He might think it's fun!