Tuesday, May 05, 2009

My views on adoption

It's a funny thing, adoption. You don't know how you're going to really feel about it until you've gone through it. Anyone know what I mean? For example, I was concerned about whether or not I could love another child as much as my bio daughter, Anna. Before we brought the twins home, I told myself that I wouldn't publicize that fact that they were adopted. Since we're military we'll be moving around a lot - so I told myself it wouldn't be "out there."

I'm happy to say that I love Keith & Kristina as much as I love Anna. It's surprising how quickly I've become attached to these adorable little ones. And as for them being adopted? Well, let's just say that I surprise even myself how many people I tell that they're adopted! I find myself being proud of them and where they're from, and especially hopeful about their future.

A few years ago I wasn't ready for adoption. Last year it felt right, and now I wouldn't have it any other way. Do I plan on adopting again? I'd love to. We'd also like to have a few more bio, too, if God wills it. But for right now, I am grateful for these 3 precious children that God has placed in my care. I am so blessed.

5 comments:

nicole said...

Yes, you really are blessed Jill. And they are too. :)

Shari said...

Your babies are blessed to have you as their Mommy no matter how you were introduced to them. They are beautiful!

Diana said...

It took a few years for us to be ready as well, and especially to be ready for IA. Let's just say the Lord had a few lessons to teach us before he entrusted us with our boys! I, too, find myself telling a lot more people than I ever thought I would that my kids are adopted. In fact, sometimes I forget that my kids don't always appreciate me telling people about it.

For me, Ukraine was completely life altering - permanantly - and in more ways than one. I still find myself wanting to share those experiences with the world. The way my kids joined my family is miraculous, as is their healing. Granted, it is still hard and they still have a long way to go, but they are healing...and I have not forgotten, nor do I neglect to share with people where the ultimate source of that healing comes from. Without question, our Savior and His Atonement are healing my kids.

Carina said...

I loved reading your thoughts on the situation. I don't know if we'll ever look at adoption for our family (it's something we haven't discussed yet...not that we've avoided it, it's just never come up), but I'd like to think that we'd be open to the idea. I really appreciate hearing about your feelings, and I hope that, if I ever have any questions about it, that I can come to you! =)

jennifer said...

Adoption is a beautiful thing! ;)

Thanks for sharing your beautiful thoughts.