Friday, September 25, 2009

Happy Birthday Grandpa Bob!

September 22nd was my stepdad, Bob's, birthday. He would have been 71 years old. He was an amazing father. He loved me and showed me that he loved me. He would hug me almost everyday and tell me that he loved me. He encouraged me in my goals and never made me feel like I couldn't accomplish anything I wanted to do. He passed away in 1999 and I think of him often. I regret that he never knew my husband or my children. I like to think he was playing with his future grandchildren up in heaven before they came down to be in our family.

Anna frosting the spice cake:


Keithy eating some dinner and vanilla ice cream:

Eating dinner and spice cake with vanilla ice cream:
Keithy hamming it up for the camera:

Every year on his birthday I celebrate him and the wonderful parent that he has been to me. I usually bake a spice cake (his favorite) and make a meal with hotdogs (he loved them) and usually some dr pepper (favorite drink) plus some diet dr pepper (for when he became diabetic) and remember stories about him. I owe much of my knowledge of the gospel to my dad. He taught me in any situation we were in about my Savior and the scriptures. He taught me to memorize all the articles of faith at a young age and, without my even knowing, he taught me to memorize all the scriptures in the first discussion in missionary work. He is wonderful and I am so glad he was a part of my life and I plan to keep him part of my life by teaching my children about him. I miss you, Dad.

4 comments:

Carina said...

That's such a sweet post. I'm glad you are striving to teach your kids about their grandpa. It's an important thing to do--my mom tried to do the same with us with Grandma and Grandpa Dahle, and I'm so glad she did. Good for you, Mama!

Sarah C said...

It is very thoughtful and sweet that you celebrate Bob's birthday every year. I think that is important for you and your family. I am sure it makes him feel special too.

Alabama Apples said...

Sweet tribute to your step-father. What a wonderful dad you have and such beautiful memories. I love how you keep him alive through family tradition.

Rachel Teran said...

Happy Birthday, Daddy! :)