Thursday, January 28, 2010

Fear of forgetting

Last Saturday I auditioned for a local version of American Idol. I sang Zdes Khorosho, a Russian piece that I sang in Ukraine in 2008. The judges called me back the next day to say that I was one of the 20 semi-finalists. So tomorrow I get to sing a song at a festival. I am going to sing Think Of Me with a backing CD. I am excited for this opportunity, but it is stretching me. You see, I have to have the words memorized. And I have this fear of forgetting the words. I've been working on memorizing the words since Tuesday and I feel 85% good about the words tonight. I've been singing for most of the my life and I enjoy it - but I still get nervous. I try not to eat anything for a couple of hours before I sing AND I make sure that I am drinking enough fluids for days in advance. I just hope that I can not only get up on that stage and sing well and remember the words - but that I can enjoy the experience and feel confident in myself. Prayers are appreciated around 7pm EST. Thanks.

8 comments:

Mary said...

I know exactly what you mean...I've been performing for years, since I was about 7 and yet I still get nervous! It's the weirdest thing because until the age of 14 or so I never felt nervous at all, and then all of a sudden I did. Only for solos, though - I don't get stage fright when singing in a group even in front of a huge audience. Solos, though? Make me go all shaky :-P

Congratulations on being a semi-finalist! That's really cool. If you get nervous, just remember that THEY selected you to sing and therefore you have a great voice and that everyone will love to hear you sing.

Aubrey said...

Congratualtions and Good Luck!! YAYA!

Courtney said...

You can do it!!! {{HUGS}}

Alabama Apples said...

You will be fabulous! We will be thinking and praying for you! Good luck!!

nicole said...

Wow, how exciting!! You'll be great. Congrats!!

Carina said...

Prayers are coming your way at 5pm my time =) Good luck! You'll do great!

Jenn said...

Congratulations! This is very exciting! You will do an awesome job!

Maria said...

Congrats! You'll do great!