Sunday, October 27, 2013

Fears and Faith

Generally, the topic of fear is viewed as something negative. I fear that I won't lose weight. I fear that I am not good at parenting children with special needs. I fear that I am not doing all that I can or should be doing to helping others. I fear this, I fear that.

Sometimes fear can bring about good changes. Such as, my desire to begin losing weight in February. It was because I do not want to become a diabetic. That fear brought change, which was a good type of change.

And also, we are taught to fear God.

Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters. Revelation 14:7

Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. Philip. 2:12

In a guide to the scriptures, I read the following:

Fear can have two meanings: (1) to fear God is to feel reverence and awe for him and to obey his commandments; (2) to fear man, mortal dangers, pain, and evil is to be afraid of such things and to dread them.

Fear is part of this life. How we choose to feel it will bring various results. I choose to fear God and to do my best to obey His commandments. I am striving to rid myself of fear that doesn't lead to Godly traits. 

The opposite of fear is faith. The guide to the scriptures says that Faith is:

Confidence in something or someone. As most often used in the scriptures, faith is confidence and trust in Jesus Christ that lead a person to obey him. Faith must be centered in Jesus Christ in order for it to lead a person to salvation.

Faith cometh by hearing the word of God. Rom. 10:17

Christ works mighty miracles among the children of men according to their faith2 Ne. 26:13

I have faith in my Savior, Jesus Christ. I also have faith in myself. I have faith that I can make the changes I need to make in my life. I have faith that those changes will bring me happiness and joy, and closer to my Father in Heaven. If you want to learn more about my faith, please visit www.lds.org or www.mormon.org

My faith makes me who I am. I can receive answers to my prayers through faith. I can know which decision to make through my faith in God. The more faith I have, the less fears of man that I will feel. I am grateful for my faith and for how it influences every aspect of my life. I would not have traveled to Ukraine to adopt my twins without my faith. I would not have chosen to adopt to adopt two children with heart conditions without my faith. I would not have married my husband, when we knew each other so little, without my faith. My faith means everything to me. It is special. It is sacred. It is my own. 

1 comment:

Sylvia said...

Thank you for sharing these thoughts! I've told people at times that I have fear about something and they tell me not to - but I always feel so strongly that it IS ok to have fear in our lives - it's not all bad! Fear can be a warning system that something is wrong, or a love of God and respect for Him - there are so many ways that fear can be a help to us, especially as a motivator to exercise our faith!! :) Faith is so important too! :)