Wednesday, October 30, 2013

On the eve of All Hallow's Eve

Tomorrow is Halloween. The last day to enjoy my orange lights outside on the bushes. The last day to see all my cute Halloween decor inside. The last day to eat Halloween candy and feel relatively non-guilty about it.

I really enjoy Halloween. It's a time to get dressed up as something you're not, eat creative foods, and have an excuse to have parties. Seriously, what's not to love?

I spent several hours in the past three days making these. I have made approximately 88 of them. Most of the time it was fine. I enjoy some menial tasks such as this. Tonight I made some with Anna and that was delightful. She is a gem, that girl.


Today, Silas woke up and I just *knew* he didn't feel well. I kept him home from school and rocked him for 25 minutes whilst Tyler got the others kids off to school. It was enjoyable, just holding Silas as he snuggled into me. There are those magical mama moments that I love. After I got Silas down for a nap, I got a call from the school. Calvin's ear was hurting. I figured that he could wait until after school, as it was over half-way through the day. An hour later, I got another call - Calvin was hysterical, crying that his ear was hurting. When Silas woke up, I drove to the school and picked up Calvin. He had fallen asleep in the clinic. It was at this point - the fact that he had fallen asleep during the day - that I *knew* he was sick. Again. Or, rather, still sick. After loading the boys up in the van, I called and made an appt with the pediatrician for later this afternoon. Knowing that it would conflict with picking up my older three kids, I went inside and checked them out from school. Then it was off to the doctor. Calvin has an ear infection, poor kid. We came home with antibiotics and ear drops. The house was a wreck. Why is it that when your ("your" meaning "my") house is a wreck, that it makes life seem more irritable?! We went to work cleaning (Calvin requested to go to bed and that desire was granted). The house became tolerable and then I went to work making dinner. After dinner, I read scriptures with the children and put them to bed. Then I worked to finish up the 88 Halloween treats for tomorrow, made four school lunches, and then Tyler said he'd like to take some s'mores cookies to school tomorrow...so I made those, as well. This has turned out to be quite a busy day. I am ready for bed...and excited for what tomorrow will bring.

The following is from Monday of this week:
Me: Calvin, it's time to do your chores.
Calvin: I can't do them because it hurts when I walk.
Me: That is too bad, because tonight is our Pierce Family Home Evening Halloween Party. I guess you won't be able to participate.
Calvin: Oh! I think I can do my chores. 

Me: I thought so.

I shared this with a friend of mine, and thought I should remember it here:
I think we all have issues about our bodies. But the thing to remember is this: we don't have perfect bodies yet. They are imperfect, but they are our vehicle to prove ourselves to return to our Heavenly Father. If we take care of them and respect them - they are enough and beautiful in God's sight.

A friend of mine made this picture for me. Ha ha.

Song of the day, by Silas:
"Ring around the rosie
Pocket full of candies
Bad guys, bad guys
We all fall down"

Gotta love the improvisation of a 3 year old.


Silas (Nemo), Calvin (Pumpkin, and me at the Trunk or Treat.

Tyler (Lumberjack) and Iryna (Mario)

Keith (Dinosaur)

Silas winning the Cake Walk.


Anna brought her good friend, Abby.

Tyler and I did an outdoor event on Saturday. It. Was. Freezing. I busted out my Ukrainian hat and Tyler his Russian hat. 

Teresa was in the booth next to us!

Tyler's back was hurting, so we left the event early. We stopped to eat at Marion's Piazza. I liked it, but Tyler thought it tasted like frozen pizza that you heat up. 

We took the kids to a pumpkin patch to pick out some pumpkins!

Calvin's cough became worse, so an ER trip was in order. Results: Virus.

We had our Pierce Family Home Evening Halloween Party!









We carved pumpkins!


1 comment:

Mommo said...

What a fantastic mother you are. You are building wonderful memories for your children. Great job!