Wednesday, March 19, 2014

The 400s Club, Part 1

Last night as I was falling asleep, I had the idea for this blogpost: The 400s Club. You should know that I don't expect to weigh 406 pounds for the rest of my life. Yes, I know I have been in The 400s Club for about 4-5 years now. That is a long time. 10 years ago, I never thought I would weigh 400 pounds. It definitely affects my life to be this size, so I thought I would type up those things now so one day I can look back and reflect upon this time in my life.




Most people who weigh close to my weight don't take pictures of themselves. They are embarrassed and don't want to remember this time in their lives. But what if they stay in this weight for 5 years, 10 years, 20 years? No pictures of your time on this earth for 20 years? That doesn't make sense to me. These lives of ours are worth recording. I don't care how much you weigh. Each and every one of us are special. Each and every one of us are attractive. We have talents. We have hobbies. We have fun senses of humor. And we like to eat - but how many people hate eating? - but I digress.

Some things I have to focus on because of my size (that I imagine typical weighted people don't think about)
-Will I fit in that chair?
-Will this chair hold my weight?
-I have to limit how far I can walk (no theme parks for me) or my ankles swell up.
-Will those shoes support my feet/body?
-What is the weight limit on that ride/massage table/MRI table/etc?
-Putting my shoes on without sitting on a couch or bed to pull my feet up to tie the laces.
-Finding clothes that are modest.
-Finding clothes that are stylish.
-Excessive heat causes me to develop heat rashes (exercise can also cause this).
-Exercise can cause injury.
-I have to prioritize my activities so I don't overwork my body.
-Social embarrassment that my children feel due to my weight.

If you are reading this blog and you are overweight, obese, or morbidly obese - take heart. You are special. You are important. And this post has nothing to do with making you change your body. I want to support you and encourage you as you tackle this world with a body that is weighed down. I know how you feel. And I want to reach out and give you cyber hugs and let you know that you are loved. You are beautiful/handsome. God created you and gave you your body. I have said prayers of gratitude on many occasions thanking God for giving me such a strong and stalwart body. He has blessed you with the same. I am not condoning the idea of overeating. I am reaching out and saying that You Have WORTH just as you are today. May we all find peace in how we look, how we feel, and how we are made. We deserve to be loved.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Really great post, Jill! Lots of great points, especially about taking photos (some of my family members don't have any for years at a time and we all regret it) and also with the list of things you have to think about when you're in the 400 Club. It really helped me gain some insight and perspective - some of the things on the list I knew, but some I didn't. And for the record, I've always admired your sense of style - you're so fashionable!

Fatcat said...

It's rough. I haven't actually been there, but I have been so close that it scared me before I had my lap band surgery. I agree about the pictures, but it is hard to look at them for me. I do the pictures for my kids, for the future.