Thursday, November 24, 2016

Parent Teacher Conferences

Last week I was sick with a horrible cold. In lieu of meeting with Calvin and Silas' teachers for conferences, they each sent me an email talking about their progress. I felt like it was even better for me this way, as sometimes I cannot remember everything they say during our meetings - so I want to blog them here so I can remember where they are right now. 

Silas:
Hi!
I wanted to start with how happy I am to have Silas in my class this year.  He is a really neat kid and I have really enjoyed getting to know him these past few months.  I feel he has made so much growth in so many areas and I just know that he is going to continue to soar this year. 
To help guide this message, I am attaching a copy of the log that I had prepared to use while we met. (BTW, hope you are feeling better. There is a pretty yucky bug going around)
It is just an outline of the things that I wanted to share with you.
Silas is currently reading below grade level.  As a result he is receiving additional support from Mrs. Rosenberg and she is working on concept of word and other skills that will help him.  I am meeting with him and 2 other friends in a "guided reading" small group to help with other reading strategies.  He is very receptive to these and enjoys the small groups.  During writing, he again works with a teacher just so that we can be sure he is taking his time and has some support to get his thoughts on paper.  with guidance he is doing well.
Math learning is pretty much the same.  He has great background skills and sometimes needs a little extra guidance to show what he knows.
We still have some times when Silas will need redirections with interactions with other children, reminders of behavior expectations during center time or game time.  As the year as progressed though, these redirections have become less frequent. 
He knows that he is always welcome to go to his rocking chair and there are times when I will suggest that he "takes a break".  As  I get to know him, I have been able to be a bit more pro-active with our transition times and other things that may cause him to become unsettled.
I am sorry if this is a bit short in length, I am trying to get to the post office.  Please, look over what I have sent, and have shared.  I will be happy to answer any questions or address any concerns that you have. 
Have a good evening, Ms T.

Calvin:
Hi Mrs. Pierce,

I'm sorry you're not feeling well! :(
I am very proud of Calvin's progress thus far in the year. He is reading slightly above grade level and can comprehend texts at his reading level well.

In math, he also is doing quite well. He grasps concepts readily and if he ever does need help, he quickly gets back on track.

Behavior wise, Calvin is such a sweet boy who I never ever have to speak with about misbehaving or talking out of turn.

If there's anything you'd like to talk about don't hesitate to let me know. I hope you feel better soon! Ms K.

No comments: