Tuesday, February 26, 2019

A day in the regular

I have been sick for 6 days now with a cold. It's not improving, in fact, it's getting worse. The area under my nose is chapped, my lips are chapped, my energy levels low, my head hurts off and on, and I am sneezing and my nose is draining like there's no tomorrow. But - it's going to get better...eventually...right? Let's hope.

My mom told me recently that she would like to go back and relive a regular day when her kids were at home. Today seems like a regular day, so I thought I would share for my future self to read.

I woke up around 8:45am, after my nasal drainage repeatedly disallowed me to sleep. I showered and got dressed, which felt like it was in slow-motion, due to my lack of energy. I received a call from Calvin's school - he forgot his lunchbox, so I drove it to his school.

Michael eventually rolled out of bed and came upstairs to let Barkley and Gus outside. He says that he feels sick, also. He built a fire in the fireplace. I made myself some oatmeal to warm up. I am homeschooling Michael. Today we worked on contractions, punctuation, nouns, adjectives, counting dollar bills and change, and algebra. He also is practicing how to write in cursive.

This afternoon, Ms Mindy came to work with Keith for ABA therapy. Sarah is doing the least in regards to doing dishes, which are piled up high in the kitchen. Anna started walking on the treadmill today. I miss exercising...when my cold it gone, I look forward to my morning fitness time.

Once a month, I make homemade macaroni and cheese because it's Keith's favorite food. I like doing this for him. Michael turned up his nose at the meal, but I can't please everyone.

Iryna talked with Sister Bracken on the phone from church about a church activity tomorrow. She seemed awkward talking on the phone. It seems that phone etiquette is lost on the younger generation, much like cursive.

I am going through all of my digital photos and videos and organizing them into folders. I plan to have a folder for each of the children to take with them to their future families. A little part of them to start their new lives...it's time-consuming, but I enjoy it.

John started public school this week. Today is his second day. He seems to like it. They issue everyone an iPad. With his addiction to electronics, he's probably loving that. He's currently at the neighbor's house, cleaning out their horse barn. I think he likes working around the horses. He loves animals, in general.

Calvin came home with Silas, which means he skipped his art club today. I'm a bit peeved that I paid for three art club meetings and he skipped all three, because he "forgot." What can I do?

Tyler is out looking at a potential tree job with Michael. They are quite the duo. I am thankful for the extra income. Tyler is plugging along in his math PHD program. I am thankful for all the hard work and hours that he puts into his career.

This week is Michael's birthday - he will be 16. Somehow, the term "Sweet Sixteen" doesn't seem as applicable to boys as it does with girls...and since Michael isn't getting his driver's license, it doesn't feel like the milestone birthday that mine was when I turned 16. Still! I am trying to make it a memorable birthday. I only get a few with my older kids in the home, so I want to make them special. Adopting older children is quite an adventure.

Sarah is currently refilling the woodpile for the fireplace. For such a tiny thing, she's strong. I like that both she and Iryna are the same short height. They share a room and can share clothing, also.

It's almost been 9 months in our new house. I love having a home with such beautiful window views. Natural is all around me and I love it.

We now have six dogs and they are such precious souls. I love how much they trust me and love to be around me. Their unconditional love is such a sweet commodity. They are precious pups.

Those are my thoughts from today. My husband, 8 kids, and 6 pups are my life. And I have a beautiful life - even WITH this miserable cold.

No comments: