Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Carefree summer day...

Today seemed like one of those carefree summer days depicted in Calvin & Hobbes...the weather is simply gorgeous and it's so nice to get out & enjoy it. Once Anna got home from school she was in the pool and I went outside with her & read the newspaper. I think I may be in danger of actually reading more if Anna continues to want to swim. What else can I do outside? Perhaps I'll take up reading--I hear it's fun. I wouldn't know--I don't do it.

This morning I called my good friend Shannon & she kept Anna for me while Tyler & I attending a seminar on-base focused on international adoption. We have kicked the idea around of adopting from China someday (but you have to be 30, which we're not & you have to have money, which we don't have either) and we thought this seminar would let us know what to expect, you know, how to go about adopting a child from a foreign country. That wasn't what the seminar was about--it was about how the adopted children need to adapt to a foreign culture and all the trouble they go through trying to figure out who they really are. It really didn't show any positive things about adopting internationally--just about how bad experiences have occurred. Not what we were expecting. One of the reasons I haven't been 100% comfortable with adopting internationally is because one day that child would realize that they don't look like us and I thought that would be a difficult thing to face as a young child. I am PRO adoption, I just don't know if it's the right thing for me, right now in my life. And it may never be--we'll just have to see what Heavenly Father has in mind for us & our family.

While Anna was at school I worked on the program for the Ward Classical Recital. I need to make the programs, print them, call to remind those who are bringing refreshments, determine who will be conducting, etc. I think it will be a lovely program. Thus far I have 16 people signed up to perform.

I watched that Bollywood movie last night--I must say, it wasn't very good. That's the first movie I've seen with Shahrukh Khan that I didn't enjoy. Oh well, I guess he can't be perfect in every film he does...isn't there a rule about that??

My friend Joey called me today. He's such a great guy, I seriously wonder why he isn't married yet. He's a lawyer (a good non-blood sucking lawyer), he's attractive, he's a strong Christian, he has a great sense of humor...just a great all-around package of a guy. Some lucky girl will snatch him up one of these days...it's ironic that he's available while I also have some great girlfriends who aren't married...

I called my dominican republic friend, Maria, & she brought her husband & daughter over this afternoon. Their daughter, Elizabeth, is one week older than Anna. They get along beautifully and they're both an only child in their families. I chatted with the adults while the girls swam & played. It felt like Calvin & Hobbes were just around the corner...

1 comment:

Nina said...

Hey Jill. I read your blog like once or twice a week but I never comment. Which makes me a feel a little guilty b/c I like it when people comment on my blog (thanks, btw) and here I am not commenting. So this is a really lame comment designed to assuage my guilt.