Wednesday, May 16, 2007

CHILD ACTIVATED ATTENTION DEFICIT DISORDER

Recently, I was diagnosed with C. A. A. D. D. ? Child Activated Attention Deficit Disorder.

This is how it manifests: I decide to do the laundry. As I start toward the basement, I notice that there are cheerios all over the floor and my car keys are in the cereal bowl. I decide to pick up the cheerios before I do the laundry. I lay my car keys down on the counter, put the cheerios in the trash can under the counter, and notice that the trash can is full. So, I decide to takeout the trash.But then I think, since I'm going to be near the mailbox when I takeout the trash I may as well pay the bills first. I take my checkbook off thetable, and see that there is only one check left, my extra checks are in my desk in the office/playroom, so I go to my desk where I find a sippy cup full of juice. I'm going to look for my checks, but first I decide I should put the sippy cup in the refrigerator to keep it cold. As I head toward the kitchen with the sippy cup a vase of flowers on the counter catches my eye -- they need to be watered. I set the sippy cup on the counter, and I discover baby wipes that I've been searching for all morning. I decide I better put them back in the bathroom, butfirst I'm going to water the flowers. I set the wipes back down, fill a container with water and suddenly I spot the TV remote, one of the kids left it on the kitchen table. I realize that after school when they go to watch TV, I will be looking for the remote as they fight over who lost it, but I won't remember that it's on the kitchen table, so I decide to put it back in the den where it belongs, but first I'll water the flowers.I splash some water on the flowers, but most of it spills on the floor. So, I set the remote back down, get some paper towels and wipe up the spill. Then I head down the hall trying to remember what I wasplanning to do. At the end of the day: the laundry isn't washed, the bills aren'tpaid and there is a warm cup of juice sitting on the counter, the flowersaren't watered, there is still only one check in my checkbook, I can't findthe remote, I can't find the wipes, and I don't remember what I did withthe car keys. Then when I try to figure out why nothing got done today, I'm really baffled because I know I was busy all day long, and I'm really tired. I realize this is a serious problem, and I'll try to get some help for it, but first I'll check my e-mail.Do me a favor, will you? Forward this message, because I don'tremember to whom it has been sent. Don't laugh -- if this isn't you yet, your day is coming.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

All I can say is AMEN! (and,glad I'm not the only one!) ;)

Anonymous said...

I truly understand your disorder. I think I suffer from it as well.

Tish