Sunday, May 20, 2007

Small Army

I was officially sustained as the Choir director today. I must say, I'm very excited about it. I enjoy directing the choir--I enjoy choosing the music, I enjoy it when the members enjoy the music I've chosen, I enjoy it when they sound good and it brings the Spirit. It's a great thing.

We'd signed up for the Elders to come over for dinner, but I thought I'd invite my friend, Maria, her husband, Frank, & their daughter, Elizabeth, as well. They accepted and it was a lot of fun and not nearly as awkward as I'd imagined it could have been. I was nervous because it was the first time they'd met the missionaries. Not that I thought they immediately ask to be taught & baptized, but I was afraid of anything that might be said that would give them the wrong impression...the whole walking on eggshells theory applies to my sharing the gospel. Anyone else feel this way? However, it went very smoothly. We had a nice meal, the elders shared a thought, we prayed, it was great...nothing bad happened at all. In fact, after the elders left for another appointment & Frank left to work, Maria & Elizabeth stayed for a while longer. Maria & I just chatted outside for over an hour, just talking. The longer I talk with her, the more I like her. She is a genuinely wonderful person. She's from the dominican republic and she doesn't make me feel like my spanish is lacking--even though I know it is. I can imagine spending more time with her, and who knows? Perhaps she'll want to learn more about the gospel. Time will tell.

So I made the recipe for Frog's eye salad. Oh my goodness. They should have put the yield on that recipe. It filled my largest bowl in the kitchen. FULL. I've never seen so much fruit salad and I can't imagine us even making a dent in it-it's enough to feed a small army. Fruit salad, anyone? (local petitions only, please)

No comments: