Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Deodorant

So I'm trying to build up my year's supply for our family. As you probably know, you shouldn't just have a one year's supply of food---but a year's supply of all that you need, including fuel, toiletries, etc. I think we now have a 3-4 year's supply of toothpaste, but are lacking the deodorant department. I do not use anti-perspirant. I think that if I'm sweating under my arms that my body was meant to do that. However, I do think that deodorant is fine to use. I have read that anti-perspirant/deodorant combos include aluminum in them. I have also read that lumps found in the breast (sometimes leading to cancer...) have aluminum inside them. So, I determined that I would avoid anti-perspirants all together. So, I just use deodorant. Wal-mart, in the past, has carried a brand name entitled "SIMPLY BASIC," and it sells deodorant without the anti-perspirant stuff. It's cheap and it WORKS. But guess what? They no longer sell it. At least not at my friendly neighborhood wal-mart. Every single deodorant for women had the anti-perspirant in it. I know. I checked them all. Then I looked at the mens deodorant and guess what? They have several just deodorants for sale. (If they didn't smell like cologne, I'd buy them!) So, my question in all of this, actually I have 2 questions: Why did wal-mart stop selling the ONLY deodorant that I will use AND why do women want anti-perspirants? It stinks.

So today I swam laps while Anna had her SW. Sarah swam as well and then we all swam after the lessons. It was fun until a storm blew in & we had to get out. We went to the mat room & the tunnels before heading home. I did some laundry, deep cleaning in the kitchen, and organizing for the garage sale. I'm getting rid of all of Anna's clothes from newborn-5T. Some are really really cute. (Of course I am keeping her blessing dress...some things just go without saying). I can't believe how much clothes we have! And shoes! I filled a whole basket of them...I hope that the garage salers will be out this saturday, and coming to my house.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My take on the deoderant/anti-perspirant thing is this. Most women don't like to sweat. If it can be avoided most people, especially women, will avoid it. I do know of an alternative if you can find it. My grandmother uses this crystal or rock type thing. She was telling me that it is supposed to kill the bacteria and so you don't stink, but has no anti-perspirant in it at all. It is an all natural thing. It was a long time ago that we talked about it, but I think she said you can get it at one of those stores like Whole Foods or natural foods like herbs and minerals. Maybe this will help you. And good news for the storage, I am pretty sure it last like a year or something.

Anonymous said...

Jill,

When I went in search of a supply of raw goat milk last Sept, I went to a health food/supplement store in Cali (which is the only state where you can legally sell raw milk), like what I used to see of them in Oklahoma when I looked. They had deoderant rock like Misti mentions, that allows sweat (so that's good). I remembered it because Thai was in the name (you know me ;). Anyway, I was in the deorderant market about a month ago, and I too do not use anti-perspirant, and I was thinking about that rock thing. So I looked up my local health/herb store and went in. They had something very similar to what I had seen in Cali. It cost about $7, but it said right on the labeling that it lasts about a year! So I thought that if I need to buy deoderant every couple of months, which is at least $2 and more like $3 per stick, I was saving money with the rock/stick thing. I really like it. It is unscented, although there could be scented varieties available. I never found anything like it at Wild Oats or Trader Joes (do they have either of these in Ohio?), so I suggest looking up a health food store, but not GMC or stuff like it. If you cannot find it, we'll make a deal, and I can pick up 2-4 sticks for you. Let me know if you're interested.

KC

Maria said...

The altenative they mentioned works really well - looks like you cann be set for life now!