Thursday, September 25, 2014

Happy Birthday Grandpa Bob

Every year we celebrate my dad's birthday. This year he would have been 76 years old. I am sad that my husband and children never knew Grandpa Bob. He was a kind and loving dad to me. He encouraged me in anything I wanted to do and made me feel beautiful and capable. He also taught me how to sing in harmony from a very young age. Any errands he would need to go on, I was invited to join him and chat about life. He taught me the gospel of Jesus Christ and to memorize the articles of faith. He was an incredible missionary and he loved his Savior. I am so grateful for the legacy he left behind. We always have hot dogs, dr pepper, and spice cake - his favorites!

As this is my first year being gluten free, I had to adapt the recipes. Below is a gluten free spice cake and some gluten free rolls that I used as hot dog buns. They were both delicious, even I was pleasantly surprised how good they were. 


Roll recipe found here.



Recipe found here.

I looked up a simple cream cheese glaze online from Martha Stewart and it went nicely with the cake. 

Tyler reading some of Dad's poems. He wrote many wonderful poems. Here are a couple he wrote about me:




Dad drank Dr Pepper before he became diabetic, then it was on to Diet Dr Pepper.

This photograph was taken as we began fundraising to raise money for Dad's heart transplant. Unfortunately, the surgery was unsuccessful and Dad passed away. My son, Calvin, has the middle name of Robert and is named after my Dad. He, too, will have to face a heart transplant one day.

I will forever be grateful to this man who gave so much of his time to me. He wanted to know my thoughts, my interests, and he was the best cheerleader I could have ever hoped to have. I love you, Dad. I miss you everyday.



No comments: