Tuesday, October 07, 2014

The power of prayer

My testimony of prayer has grown throughout my life. I remember being young and losing my glasses. We had family prayer to find them and then my mother wisely instructed me to focus on the inspiration the Holy Ghost would give me. Sure enough, the thought came to look under the bed and there I found my glasses. 

My good friend, Cherie, taught me to speak to Heavenly Father often in prayer - throughout the day, in whatever I was doing. I still do this and it is more of a play-by-play thing, such as "Did you see what I did there? Pretty silly, huh?" sort of communication. 

In the Bible Dictionary, it states that when we understand that we are a child of God, prayer naturally occurs. It only makes sense that we would want to speak to our Father in Heaven, as He created us and knows what we need to learn here on the earth so we can prove ourselves worthy and return to Him. 

This past weekend was General Conference. I especially enjoyed Elder Richard G Scott's talk, which spoke some about prayer. Here is the link to that talk: https://www.lds.org/general-conference/watch/2014/10?lang=eng&vid=3822500827001&cid=3

I would describe myself as a worrier, with some level of anxiety over difficulties and potential scenarios of life. For the most part, I begin my prayers with things I am grateful for and end my prayers with requests for help. I have so many worries in life and I had never thought to share my worries with God. As I listened to Elder Scott's words, I determined that I would share my worries with Heavenly Father in prayer.

And so, yesterday when I was out running errands alone, I prayed aloud in my van. I listed off four or five things that worried me - both past and present. I was amazed at what followed. Not only did I feel peace and happiness, but I cannot even recall what the worries were that I mentioned. It is as if those worries were taken from my mind altogether. It was glorious and beautiful and it was a gift from God due to my communicating those worries with him. 

I am so grateful for that talk by Elder Scott which encouraged me to share "everything" with Heavenly Father. 

Today I was reading my scriptures in The Book of Mormon, and I came across this verse:

2    But behold, I was without hope, for I knew the judgments of the Lord which should come upon them; for they repented not of their iniquities, but did struggle for their lives without calling upon that Being who created them.

When I read the last phrase, I realized that have been struggling in my life due to not calling upon my Father in Heaven enough. I hope to remember this experience and reflect upon it often.  

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

That is beautiful! I'm going to have to try that as well. (We haven't seen Conference here yet, it will be this upcoming Sunday.)