Saturday, December 06, 2014

Happy Thanksgiving!

This year we ended up celebrating Thanksgiving twice. You know, because once is never enough. Tyler was going to leave for some military training in later November, so we had our own family Thanksgiving early in the month. It was fabulous, actually. No chaos in the grocery store and everything was in stock. I even got a nice turkey. This was my first year making a gluten free Thanksgiving feast and everything turned out beautifully. Even the pie crusts!












This is normally where our story would end with regards to Thanksgiving, but Tyler was scheduled to fly to OK to visit family for the actual Thanksgiving dates and I was going to stay home in the DC area. But then...I had this crazy idea to pack up my kids and drive out to OK and surprise Tyler. And that's exactly what I did. It took a couple of days, but I was pleased with how the trip went. Tyler was blown away when I picked him up from the airport instead of my brother, Coulter. It was wonderful seeing him again after him being away for training. Here are some photos of our trip. 


My dearest grandmother has alzheimer's. The day I left for OK, she had a stroke and fell and hit her head. She was in the hospital during my 4 days in OK and I was able to visit with her on two of those days. The first time, we sang the Doxology together. Her voice was muffled, but she sang along with me. I will never forget that special moment. She has now returned home from the hospital, but it isn't likely that she will live for much longer. We are in the process of preparing for a funeral and a second trip to OK, if we can make it happen. I love this woman so much. I am sad that she is leaving us, but I know that I will see her again one day. 

We spent actual Thanksgiving day with Tyler's family. We had a wonderful time and the cousins made some new memories. 

The kids loved 4-wheeling with their Uncle Travis.


Fun with the Conover Family.

Keith's latest obsession is motorcycles. He was in heaven!

Tyler's high school friend, Tommy, and his newest arrival, Heidi.


Our sweet niece, Macie, was baptized while we were in OK. It was such a blessing to be part of that wonderful moment with her. Tyler gave the talk on baptism and I spoke on the Holy Ghost. The drawing is from Calvin to Macie, describing what happens when you are baptized. Calvin is especially thrilled to be getting baptized in January. 

Our trip was very quick, but we were able to meet Opa & Maamaw for a lunch at Chick-Fil-A. We were also able to meet our newest nephew, Carter. He is such a cutie! Congratulations Landon & Ashley!

The day we left, we were able to spend some time with my sister, Heather, and her kiddos. On the left is Tyler with Florence, who is Rachel's daughter.

This was our first day in OK - spending time with Aurora and Rylee.

We made sure to stop at Braum's for some yummy ice cream!


I am so grateful that we were able to spend Thanksgiving with our family. It is difficult living far from family, but those times when we can see them are so very special. 

No comments: