Monday, August 27, 2018

Back to school

This school year has been different from what I had imagined it would be. First off, I thought that ALL of my children would be attending public school this year. I had plans to make quilts, have increased amounts of time for exercise, practice the piano, and to focus on learning more Bulgarian. I enrolled all of the children in school and specified that Michael, Sarah, and John should repeat 8th grade, as they barely learned anything in 8th grade in Virginia and they were still lacking some basic knowledge that would only become more apparent as they entered high school.

I received a phone call from someone at the school requesting that I come in to discuss the grade levels for the triplets. I replied that I imagined that everyone would request that the triplets attend 9th grade and that I felt strongly about 8th grade. They said that everyone would have an open mind, but I guessed she was only hoping that MY mind would be open.

The meeting was a train wreck. From the moment that I sat down, I was bombarded with how wonderful the high school is and that their program has so many more resources than the middle school, blah, blah, blah. I maintained my stance on 8th grade and eventually we just called the meeting quits, as I wasn't budging and they certainly weren't, either.

After some deliberation, and with Tyler's full support, I decided that I would homeschool the triplets, going back to first grade and sweeping through concepts and ideas, all whilst focusing more earnestly on them learning English, as I hope to bring them up to a 9th grade level before giving them the option to return to public school, no matter how many years that will take.

All three of the kids are enjoying school at home and I find that I enjoy it a lot, also. With Anna, she was already academically more intelligent than myself, so I felt a bit unqualified teaching her. But I feel super at ease teaching the triplets.

After a week of school, Michael and John have already moved up to 2nd grade level concepts. Sarah is now down to a kindergarten level. I suspect a learning disability and possible dyslexia. I am hoping that God will guide me as I try to give my kids the education they are lacking, and to support them in a way that they have never been supported in learning at school. I am thankful that I can have this opportunity and I hope that we will have a good year!

Field trip to Jungle Jim's to find some international food!

Bulgarian flour to make Mekitsi!

With my American Gluten allergy, I can't eat kitkats. But if they are imported, I can! Hooray for Chinese Kitkats! :-)

Learning math is very hard for Sarah. She has trouble remembering rules. 

Working on English!

Anna is now in 11th grade at the high school. She is taking German! She is also working at Sonic, attending seminary, and babysitting for some families from time-to-time. My baby is so busy, that I feel like I rarely see her. 

Keith is in 8th grade and is THRILLED to be back in school. He loves his teacher and is getting settled into a routine. 

Iryna is in 7th grade and was incredibly anxious about a new school and a new teacher. She is more calm with a week of school under her belt. 

Calvin is in 5th grade and has a male teacher this year - who is very funny, according to Calvin. He takes a rubik's cube to school everyday and is eager to learn.

Silas is in 3rd grade and has already professed his love to a girl in the classroom. She said she didn't like him that way, but he thinks his teacher is cute, too, so there's that. ;-)

I didn't do any back-to-school pictures this year. I was too exhausted. 

No comments: